Thursday 20 September 2012

Book Review, Winnings, Hooking and Morsbagging

It's been a busy few days, not that my WIP list would realise!    

So, what have I been up to.  
Remember I told you about the book I was reviewing for Kerry at Penny Dog Patchwork ?  


My first book review!



Well it's finished, and it's been posted today, so hop on over (after you've finished reading of course) to her great Blog and have a look.  While you're there, make sure you have a good look around, she's got lots of lovely projects completed and interesting tutorials.

I was really nervous about writing it, as I wanted to make sure I didn't shame myself on Kerrys blog, she's got a great following, and I'm just a newbie after all!  I hope you like it, it's supposed to be a fair summation of the book, and to get people thinking about what they look for in a quilting book

In my second set of news, my winnings from Aneela Hoey have arrived (Tuesday morning, talk about speedy post), and although I haven't used it yet, I've opened the pack and I'm stroking it daily- I have a plan forming, watch this space!

 *
When I was little, I just couldn't learn to knit (I'm left handed and just a bit awkward with those kinds of things), so when I found out a local lady was running crochet classes, I jumped at the chance to learn.  I kind of figure that I might one day be able to knit, but that as crochet seems to be simpler, and a lot more accessible, I wanted to try it.  So, I started going to Creative Crochet Cafe on a Wednesday at the lovely Greenacres Centre in Birstall (Leicestershire).  This group is run by the wonderful Lisa, who runs Little Bird School of Stitchcraft in Leicestershire. She is a fabulous teacher, and made it feel really easy to learn the basics, so despite the fact its only a couple of hours a week, by week two I had made a Granny Square (and carried on hooking it at home, until I ran out of white, so I started a new pink one)
Crochet practice.

and by the end of week 3, I had made a flower!  
They might not be the most beautiful pieces of crochet, but I'm having fun learning.  
Week 3, and a pretty flower completed.

*
 And finally after the crochet yesterday, we had a visit from the Morsbags group- responsible for guerilla bagging!  This is a society that make re-usable fabric bags and then give them away for FREE to encourage people to cut out/down their reliance on plastic bags.  They take spare fabric (often old curtain fabric, not clothes), and make super strong fabric bags that are designed to hold 5 bottles of wine, that seems like recommendation enough for me!!  I made my first one yesterday, it's already had its first outing to the supermarket, and my word can't it carry a lot!


I am now a member of the Charnwood Pod, see the link for more details, they are active all over the UK, and beyond, and so far over 112000 have been made.  It's a terrific cause and if you have time to help out, get in touch with them in your area via the website.

Enough, I'm exhausted with all this writing, and creative stuff, have a good Thursday.

Ange x











3 comments:

  1. How I wish that there is a hooky group near me as I need a little help to get started. I will now pop over to check out your book review. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy. The crochet looks lovely. Right, I'm off to check out your book review and the Morsbags. 5 bottles of wine you say???? Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I really have a great following?! lol I can't knit either and I'm left handed, but TBH I never consider that as a reason for not being able to do anything, however book learning is quite tricky trying to flip the images in your mind...

    I'd go to the crochet class but it's a work day- boooo!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments, so go ahead, say something, it really makes my day.......