Sunday 18 November 2012

A Walk in the Stripey Woods

All finished- hooray
 After several long months of procrastinating and diversion I have finally managed to finish my Octagon quilt, yay!  The unpicking didn't take half as long as I thought (about 5 or so rows as the back had a great big fold in it, and it really annoyed me). Then it was just a matter of getting it re-quilted and then bound, which quite frankly was terrific, as I really enjoy the hand sewing of the binding. It's such a great feeling finishing the binding by hand, and it means when I get a little more time, I can start a new quilty project- I know exactly which one, and it involves those Oakshotts!!

Just right for snuggling under
The photos are a bit rubbish, but then we don't have any good outdoor space at the moment- but fingers crossed we will do in the very near future!

Binding loveliness!
I've bound it with a stripe, as I always love seeing them on Red Pepper Quilts, Rita is a total legend, and although I couldn't find any Lecien Stripe, I managed to find a pretty good substitute (in my opinion), and I bought enough to bind several other quilts, or even a backing and some binding next time.

The actual design of the Octagon was inspired by the Craftsy block of the month I made a while back, I thought it would be great to show off the fussy cut blocks from the Walk In The Woods fabric line.

My Craftsy Block Inspiration

Quilted using a straigh(ish) line, random widths, which is actually much harder than you think, next time I will be using masking tape to mark the lines, but a great learning experience.
 
This is a cot sized quilt, or would be perfect for little ones for sitting on the sofa with and snuggling under on cold winter days!  If I can get some better pictures I'll pop it into my Etsy shop in the next few days.

Anyway, I'd better get back to some sewing, I have 2 Advent calendars to get finished, and I need to post one by Wednesday, so I'd best get cracking!!

Ange x

6 comments:

  1. Nice quilt and the binding is perfect. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that binding is fabulous. I love it! :) Yay for finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, I love the muted colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really lovely Ange. I love the stripey binding. I like the octagon block. Think I was supposed to be doing the Craftsy BOM but it's fallen by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely quilt, love the grey and the stripes. Another one to cross off the list! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely understated greys- and I love a stripy binding too, but I've only done it once!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments, so go ahead, say something, it really makes my day.......